This morning, some of the girls from the morning classes got fired up to do a Paleo Challenge. Starting now, all CrossFit Canmore members are strongly encouraged to join in a 4 week Paleo Challenge.
The idea is to encourage everyone to go paleo for 28 days straight, with limited cheats. You should shoot for >85% compliant. This will do wonders for you and is the balance you need to go forward.
If you want to baby step your way into better eating, click here.
If you will thrive on a more black and white approach, keep reading. The finer points of a “strict” paleo diet can be endlessly debated (feel free to ask any questions you may have) but this is what you need to know to get started:
- meat (preferably grassfed)
- poultry (preferably free range)
- fresh fish & seafood (preferably wild)
- eggs (preferably free range)
- more vegetables than fresh fruit
- nuts & seeds (preferably raw and unsalted.
- (Note: The organic versions of these foods will allow you to avoid pesticide residue.)
FOODS TO EAT IN MODERATION:
- minimally processed oils & animal fats (e.g., olive, avocado, walnut, coconut, lard, beef tallow—be aware that some of these are not meant for high-heat cooking but should be used raw)
- coffee, tea, wine, beer, spirits
- dried fruits
- nuts mixed with dried & fresh fruits
FOODS TO AVOID:
- Starchy vegetables (e.g., starchy tubers, potatoes, sweet potatoes),
- Salt-containing foods (e.g., commercial salad dressings & condiments), fatty meats, soft drinks & fruit juices,
- Sweets (i.e., candy, honey, sugars [sucrose, molasses, high fructose corn syrup, fructose, agave nectar]), diet sodas, refined vegetable oils (especially corn, soy, & canola), foods containing artificial sweeteners, chemical food additives.
- Barley (barley soup, barley bread, and all processed foods made with barley)
- Corn (corn on the cob, corn tortillas, corn chips, corn starch, corn syrup)
- Oats (steel-cut oats, rolled oats, and all processed foods made with oats)
- Rice (brown rice, white rice, rice noodles, rice cakes, Rice flour (all processed foods made with rice)
- Rye (rye bread, rye crackers, and all processed foods made with rye)
- Wheat (bread, rolls, muffins, noodles, crackers, cookies, cake, doughnuts, pancakes, waffles, pasta, spaghetti, lasagna, wheat tortillas, pizza, pita bread, flat bread, and all processed foods made with wheat or wheat flour)
- Wild rice
- Cereal Grain like Seeds such as amaranth, buckwheat, and quinoa
- All beans (black beans, broad beans, fava beans, field beans, garbanzo beans, kidney beans, lima beans, navy beans, pinto beans, red beans, string beans, white beans)
- Black-eyed peas, Chickpeas
- Peas, Snow peas, Sugar snap peas
- Peanut butter, Peanuts
- Soybeans and all soybean products, including tofu
- Dairy (e.g., milk, cheese, yogurt, butter, whey protein powder)
RULES OF THE CHALLENGE
- Try to go at least 85% and stick to 3 to 4 strict days in a row if you want to see significant results.
- If you aren’t lactose intolerant and want to do “moo-paleo” (i.e., paleo + dairy), go for it.
- Posts your favourite recipes, likes and dislikes, trials and tribulations to comments.
- Take some photos of yourself. We have members who made big changes to their body composition, and now wish they had done so when they started CrossFit.
- If you really want to be held accountable, post your daily food intake for everyone to see. Then you will really think twice the next time you consider eating 3 Tim Hortons donuts and a double-double.